Sunday, January 20, 2008

What to do about racism.

OK, as an African American I'm supposed to get all up in arms about Kelly Tilghman's comments about lynching Tiger Woods. And the Jena 6. And Don Imus. But I'm not. If I really believe racism exists, why am I always so shocked and appalled when someone makes a racist statement? And is complaining about racism going to do?

My suggestion to other African Americans (and Hispanics, Indians, Chinese, Native Americans, etc) is to hug a white person. Invite one for dinner. Walk their dog. Let them see you as a regular person. The righteous indignation card only goes so far. At some point, you have to use other tools in your belt to accomplish a project. And if a white person knows you as a person, he or she will listen to you when you are offended with a more open mind.

I do think racism (and sexism and religious intolerance and homophobia) exists. I just don't think that the current tactics of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are helping anyone.

No comments: