Saturday, June 2, 2007

Another ethical dilemma- childern and Medicaid

http://www.slate.com/id/2167190/?nav=navoa

This article is about Medicaid and doctors' payments. Since Medicaid has lost my application 3 times, I'm not currently accepting Medicaid patients (I won't get any money for seeing them until they complete my paperwork). They pay 25-50% less than other insurers. They require more paperwork for referrals and therefore cost me more time (and money) when I see their patients. And they kept me on their provider list after I switched jobs and had to dis-enroll from Medicaid- but medicaid staffers kept signing me up as various patients' PCP. This meant that not only would I not get paid to see the patient, but any other doctor who saw the patient would not get paid either.

At any rate, I'll have to decide whether or not to take any Medicaid patients. As much as I pride myself on accepting patients that other doctors won't, I have to be practical and stay in business, or else I ain't helping anyone.

On a related note, I'll start doing cosmetic procedures this month. I picked procedures that insurance companies do NOT cover. market economics at its best.

No comments: