Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My own ethical dilemma

I have my own ethical dilemma. I'm a primary care doctor. I take care of everything from colds to diabetes. I especially like diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, and prevention. Every month, guidelines are updated for these and other conditions. New medications, new tests, better health outcomes. There are continuing education classes in great cities to stay up to date. I can even learn online.

And I am getting ready to sign up for a cosmetic procedures class.

If I see a patient for something important, like high cholesterol, I have a 90% chance of getting $40-$120 from their insurance plans. If I perform a Botox treatment or take care of varicose veins, I will get $250-$500 from the patient. Before I sound like a greedy bastard, remember- I'll need to see 8-14 daily (with a staff of me and my wife) to break even doing primary care alone. I would like to stay in business long enough to hire staff and pay them (and Uncle Sam).

So what do you think?

No comments: